Tucker wins First at Nationals

Written by  //  July 21, 2017  //  News  //  No comments

RRTC Heating and Air Conditioning student wins national competition

Red River Technology Center Residential Heating and Air Conditioning student Ethan Tucker recently won first place in the secondary (high school) HVAC competition at the National SkillsUSA Convention and Competition held in Louisville, Ken.

Tucker is no stranger to bringing home medals from SkillsUSA contests.

“I participated in five competitions while I was at RRTC,” said Tucker. “I placed in every one and won four of them.”

RRTC Residential Heating and Air Conditioning instructor Gary Williams said Tucker was one of his strongest students.

“It’s up to the students to decide how well they want to do in my program,” said Williams. “I present the information but they need the drive to succeed. From his work ethic in class, to his ability to learn quickly and retain that knowledge, Ethan showed me he has the ability to go anywhere in life his goals might take him.”

With his first place national win, Tucker brought home much more than a gold medal this year.

“I received roughly $12,000 worth of trade-specific tools,” said Tucker, “along with several scholarships and gift certificates.”

Tucker said the toughest part of the national competition was keeping his cool.

“It’s nationals and everyone here is state champion,” he said. “Not to mention it was potentially my last competition and I made up my mind that it was going to be my best.”

Tucker said RRTC has made a lasting impact on his life.

“The impact of RRTC on my life is immeasurable and I cannot thank the school enough,” he said. “I would tell anyone considering the HVAC program to do it. It’s not going to be easy but it’s going to be rewarding.

“I came into the class knowing nothing…and finished as the best in the nation.”

Share This Post
Share